Monday, November 5, 2007

What I've Learned

Losing my Grandpa this past week made me learn so much about him. It is amazing, and somewhat sad, to think about how much of someone who you feel you know so well you really don't really know about.
What I knew of my grandpa I knew of him being my grandpa. I didn't realize how athletic he was as a young man, or the story of him and Grandma's wedding, having kids, etc. I only knew, or cared about OUR memories... it made me question how well I know my family, or how well they know me.

Losing him taught me to take time to listen to the people I care about, and really learn about who they were, and how that makes them who they are. Their stories become my stories, their lives helped shape mine.

I am so proud to say that my Grandpa had a lot of influence over my childhood and who I am becoming as an adult. He was a great man, and I am thankful to say that he had a part of my life and my growing up. I can't wait to teach my kids the lessons he taught me, and share the stories of Grandpa Myklebust.
I miss him so much, and will miss him every single day. But I am so thankful to him for all the gifts, and memories, he gave me.

I love you Grampy, Save a spot for me in heaven!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's such an awesome lesson to learn though, kelli. how great that now you can continue your life getting to really know the people you care about. Your grandpa was an awesome man. I feel very blessed to have been/be a part of his family!

Andréa said...

That is a truly profound comment. I have only recently learned about other people's lives. Now that I am preggo I started asking my mom what is was like before me and my bro. All she said was... quiet :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...